During storm events, many wastewater plants may be unable to achieve the required effluent quality and, in worst cases, untreated wastewater may bypass the plant.
A serious health and environmental concern
Combined sewer overflow may contain particulate and soluble wastes from domestic sewage, industrial and commercial wastewaters. These waste products include suspended solids, bacteria, viruses, nutrients, toxic pollutants, oil, grease and debris, posing significant risks to receiving water quality, public health and aquatic life.
Municipalities are being challenged to eliminate all discharges of untreated wastewater caused by Combined Sewer Overflows (CSO).
Top of the page
Veolia Water Technologies applies its Actiflo® process for high rate clarification and removal of total suspended solids and particulate biochemical oxygen demand materials during wet weather conditions.
- The Actiflo® effluent typically achieves higher than 90% removal, making flows easily disinfected with UV or chlorination.
- The Actiflo® process can be used in parallel with a conventional water treatment plant or at a satellite facility within the collection system.
- Offering unlimited treatment capacity, the Actiflo® process allows elimination of overflows.
- Process trains can be used for primary and/or tertiary treatment during dry weather flows.
- The effectiveness of Actiflo® in treating wet weather flows has been proven at facilities around the world.